Dr Christina Lima
I am a lecturer, researcher, and teacher educator. My academic interests lie in the interdisciplinary field of English literature and language, especially in the roles of fiction reading in the process of language learning. In the field of literary studies, my expertise is in Shakespeare but I am also interested in the development of Tolkien Studies.
I am a Higher Education Academy Senior Fellow (SFHEA) and I currently work at the University of Leicester, UK.
PRIZES & AWARDS
- 2015 University of Leicester Merit Award
- Winner of the 2015 British Council/Macmillan Education Award for Innovative Writing
- Santander Research Grant Prize 2012
- Shears Foundation / Open University PhD Scholarship 2010-2013
- Nominated for the 2010 British Council/Macmillan Education Award for Innovative Writing
- Open University Masters of Research Scholarship 2009-2010
- Hornby Trust / British Council MA Scholarship 2008-2009
- Winner of the 2007 British Council Innovation Awards
- Doctor of Philosophy. 2014. The Centre for Research in Education and Educational Technology. The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK. Thesis: Accounts from an online reading group for English language teachers worldwide: a case study on dialogue and online interaction. Supervisors: Prof Jim Coleman, Prof Marie-Noellë Lamy and Prof Regine Hampel.
- Masters of Research. 2010. The Centre for Research in Education and Educational Technology. The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK. Dissertation: A study of an online reading group: what are English language teachers’ perceptions of the roles of reading and discussing literature in English in the construction of their professional identity? Supervisors: Prof Jim Coleman, Prof Marie-Noellë Lamy and Prof Regine Hampel.
- Masters of Education. 2009. Trainer Development: English Language Teaching. University of St Mark and St John, Plymouth, UK. Dissertation: Imagination in English language teacher education. Supervisor: Prof Tony Wright.
- Diploma in English. 2007. Goldsmiths, University of London.
Continuing Professional Development (most recent)
- Jane Austen: Myth, Reality and Global Celebrity. 2018. University of Southampton. Lead Educators: Associate Professor Gillian Dow & Dr Kim Simpson.
- Literature of the English Country House. 2018. University of Sheffield. Lead Educator: Prof Susan Fitzmaurice.
- How to Read a Novel. 2018 University of Edinburgh. Lead Educator: Dr Alex Lawrie.
- Hamlet’s Ghost. 2017. Harvard University. Lead Educator: Prof Stephen Greenblatt.
- Teaching 19th Century Literature. 2017. British Library. Main speakers: Prof John Bowen & Tracy Chevalier.
- Shakespeare: Print and Performance. 2016. King’s College London. Lead Educators: Prof Gordon McMullan & Dr Sarah Lewis.
- Shakespeare. 2016. University of Oxford. Lead Educator: Prof Emma Smith.
- Shakespeare and His World. 2015. University of Warwick. Lead Educator: Prof Jonathan Bate.
- Shakespeare’s Hamlet: Text, Performance and Culture. 2015. University of Birmingham. Lead Educator: Prof Michael Dobson.
- Othello: In Performance. 2015. University of Birmingham and the Royal Shakespeare Company. Lead Educator: Jacqui O’Hanlon.
- Much Ado About Nothing: In Performance. 2015. University of Birmingham and the Royal Shakespeare Company. Lead Educator: Jacqui O’Hanlon.
- William Wordsworth: Poetry, People and Place. 2015. Lancaster University. Lead Educator: Prof Simon Bainbridge.
- Editor of IATEFL Literature SIG academic journal Bridges
- Editor of IATEFL Literature SIG Newsletter
- Language and Literature Consultant for the British Council
- Member of the Extensive Reading Foundation Advisory Board
- Reviewer for the following journals: ELT Journal, Reading in a Foreign Language, International Student Experience Journal, Argentinian Journal of Applied Linguistics, Journal of NELTA
- Reviewer for the following publishers: Routledge, Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, Palgrave
- Member of the ELT Journal Editorial Panel (2015-2017)
- Coordinator of the IATEFL Literature Special Interest Group – LitSIG (2014-2017)
- Academic Editor of the International Student Experience Journal (2013-2017)
- Member of the IATEFL Selections Editorial Committee (2013-2016)
- Member of the BALEAP 2015 Conference Organization Committee (2014-2015)
- Discussion List Moderator for the IATEFL Literature SIG (2007 -2014)
- Forum Moderator for the British Council IATEFL Online (2007-2012)